Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is an assessment process that recognises your current skills and experience, regardless of where and when the learning occurred.
RPL can give you a full or part qualification. It can reduce the amount of time you need to study, by recognising what you already know. It can also be used to identify the training you need to complete a qualification, or provide a pathway to a higher qualification.
Credit Transfer is the recognition of previously completed formal training and/or qualifications.
The benefits of recognition of prior learning can include:
- Your time is not wasted repeating what you have already learned
- You can fast‐track your way to a recognised qualification
- RPL can increase your career and education options
- RPL can boost your confidence and motivation; you have your skills and experience formally acknowledged and move more quickly toward your goals
The following skills and experience can be formally recognised:
- On the job skills and experience
- Formal or informal education and training or qualifications
- Unpaid work such as community or volunteer work
- General life experience
- Combinations of the above.
Supporting evidence of competence must be lodged with a written application.
Evidence for RPL can take a number of forms and may include a combination of the following:
- Questioning—written, verbal or interview
- Observation of practical tasks—the assessor may observe you performing tasks in the workplace, in a simulated environment, in the classroom or any combination of locations
- Finished products
- Presentations by you
- Video and/or audio taped evidence
- Third party reports—providing examples of your work
- Documents—such as relevant qualifications/transcripts, project plans and reports, minutes of meetings, correspondence, resources developed
- Anything else that you think of that is relevant and proves your competence.
If you believe you may be eligible for RPL or Credit Transfer, please contact us and we will provide the following information a copy of our RPL Application Form on request.